Since 1991, he has represented the chemical, petroleum, railroad, automotive, and construction industries in environmental counseling and administrative litigation, with an emphasis on:
- Clean Air Act and associated state and regional laws;
- Administrative Procedure Act challenges to agency rules;
- Toxic Substances Control Act; and
- Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act.
He has represented domestic and international corporations in a variety of industries, as well as individuals, governments, and trade associations in most environmental contexts, including:
- Appellate and district-court challenges to agency rulemakings;
- Agency and citizen enforcement of NSR/PSD, NSPS, NESHAP, NPDES, POTW, TSCA, FIFRA, OSHA, and SARA Title III regulations;
- Preparation of facility banking/permitting applications under NSR/PSD, Title V, and solid waste regulations;
- Project siting and approval under NEPA, related federal/state laws, and transportation/general conformity;
- Approval of air quality implementation plans and redesignation of Clean Air Act nonattainment areas; and
- Data Quality challenges to agency information.
Before forming his firm, Mr. Joseph practiced with McKenna Long & Aldridge, LLP in Washington, DC, and Pillsbury Madison & Sutro, L.L.P., and Morrison & Foerster, L.L.P in San Francisco.